Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: options

To: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>, Hayes <hrs@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: options
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 15:48:11 +0200

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 02:31:06PM +0200, Hayes <hrs@xxxxxxxxx> was heard to
> say:
> > I have played freeciv little but I have been able to notice these
> > negative aspects in comparison to the Sid Mayer's version:
> > 1 I was not succesfull in finding the option command "end turn
> > automatically"
>
>   Is this really a bad thing?  One of the first things I always did was to
> turn
> that off..

Someone allready made a patch for this, and it is in CVS, ie. it will be
in the next freeciv release.

> > 3 in the city window lacks the option Happy, that makes you able to see
> > how people feel about temples, armies...
>
>   This would be great, and is something I've missed ever since first touching
> Freeciv whenever that was (a year or two ago, I guess).  Anyone know how
> difficult it would be to implement?  I haven't looked much at the happiness
> calculation code..

It would not be very difficult I should think, but you would probably end
up rewriting a function or two in server/cityturn.c . I think they
contain a bug or two anyway (how about that, you would actually be the
one who wrote the happiness calculation functions :).)
-And you would need to make a new packet to send the info (the
client would ask for it with a package, the server would make the info,
and send it, and the client would display it upon recieving it).
-And you would need to design the popup window. in the client (or maybe
appropriate a little space in the main window.)

Ok - a little work maybe, but no insanely difficult challenges.

And I am not going to do it, so you might as well begin coding now :)

-Thue