Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: copyright, again (was: New freeciv intro.xpm splash s

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Alexandre BERAUD <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: copyright, again (was: New freeciv intro.xpm splash screen)
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:07:03 +0000

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 08:39:57PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> > > Do you mean I have to put the .blend file with my picture ??? And the
> > > parameters of the Gimp filters and so on ?
>
> You don't "have" to do anything, but I feel it would be in the spirit of
> the GPL to do so.

To be more precise 'you' (the original author, citation lost) can do
whatever you like, because it is your copyright, and it is *you* that
is choosing to GPL the graphic.  This is the same logic that allows
Nvidia to GPL obfuscated versions of their code.

However, if 'you' choose to GPL the graphics *with* the .blend file,
then the reasonable interpretation of the GPL defines the .blend file
as source code, and hence requires anyone who makes an altered version
to distribute the blend file too.  Seems reasonable to me.

IOW, if you don't mind, please distribute the blend file.  nice thing
to have.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable