Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] copyright, again (was: New freeciv intro.xpm splash scree

To: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] copyright, again (was: New freeciv intro.xpm splash screen)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:04:03 +0100

> It's somewhat strange to put a GPL copyright on a picture. I think the
> graphics are "Freciv-right". It's not important.

It is important, whether you want it or not.  If someone copies them
off your site without your permission, you could sue, and win.
This is without you making any explicit claims, thanks to the Berne
convention.  So you must have a clear and legally binding way of
stating a different intention: a GPL for pictures, or for text
(what about the Freeciv documentation?)

I once bookmarked an initiative to provide this, but I'm unable to find it.

Then again, I suppose everything bundled with Freeciv can be regarded
as part of Freeciv, and therefore part of its license.  So everything
that's part of the distribution will not be a problem.

--
Reinier (who is not a lawyer)