Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: The guy from .algonet.se

To: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: The guy from .algonet.se
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:32:38 -0800

Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 07:42:52PM +0100, Thue Janus Kristensen was heard to
> say:
> > >   Would it maybe help to give users accounts linked to email addresses?
> > > ie, have them register an account on the Web page (or in the client?) by
> > > providing an email address, then send them a password at that address, and
> > > require the username/password for games on civserver.  This would make it
> > > possible to cut at least some abusers off (if they have access to an
> > > infinite
> > > number of email addresses, of course, this is a problem :-) )
> >
> > three words: web based email (like hotmail)
> > They do have access to unlimited email addresses.
>
>   Argh, yet another reason hotmail is evil..

heh

>   Anyway, I still think persistent accounts which start without permissions to
> do nasty things would alleviate some of the problems on civserver.  The main
> issue here is that, there's no incentive for someone without ethics (and such
> people unfortunately do exist) to not cheat, assuming they don't mind being
> universally regarded as an idiot and/or a jerk.  Nothing we can do can prevent
> them from having this attitude [1]; however, we can make it less attractive by
> providing consequences which prevent them from doing this again, at least in
> the
> near future.  (of course, the real issue that might keep this from being
> implemented is: how do you decide who to cut off?  what if there are disputes?
> who settles them?  what about a DOS attack on the civserver admins by someone
> who creates dozens of accounts at once an abuses the system on all of them?)
>
>   Another thing I wonder (and I don't know the answer) is: how many of these
> people are really determined enough to sign up for n hotmail addresses just so
> they can screw up Freeciv games?  Certainly some people will do it, but I
> don't
> think they all will (assuming that more people will try this in the future;
> I've only heard of this one case) -- will this be a sufficient obstacle for
> them that the majority either stop trying it or proceed at a slower rate? (due
> to the "waiting period" for cmdlevel access)
>
>   Daniel
>
>   [1] If you can solve this problem, please let me know :)

I think that if they have to play in a few games before they get
cmdlevel ctrl that would be a large enough obstacle.  It would make
something like this very difficult, and the person would have to be very
determined in order to make a pest of themselves.  If it does proceed to
that level I think something more drastic could be implemented in that
particular case.

--
Paul Zastoupil