Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: copyright, again (was: New freeciv intro.xpm splash s

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: copyright, again (was: New freeciv intro.xpm splash screen)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:32:48 -0300

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 09:04:03PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:

> So you must have a clear and legally binding way of
> stating a different intention: a GPL for pictures, or for text
> (what about the Freeciv documentation?)
>
> I once bookmarked an initiative to provide this, but I'm unable to find it.

GNU now has the Free Documentation License (FDL), check gnu.org

> Then again, I suppose everything bundled with Freeciv can be regarded
> as part of Freeciv, and therefore part of its license.  So everything
> that's part of the distribution will not be a problem.

That's correct. As someone pointed out, "source" is defined as
"a preferred form for modifications" or something, so almost
any image format qualifies (unless you created the picture
using a vector-graphics tool, in this case you'd have to
distribute a fig, cvg, sk, eps or something). So there is no
problem with GPLing images.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo           mailto:lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                 pgp key in the personal page

Debian GNU/Linux            ---            http://www.debian.org
Brazil of Darkness        ---       http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar