Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New freeciv intro.xpm splash screen

To: michal@xxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New freeciv intro.xpm splash screen
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:50:38 -0500

michal@xxxx (michal@xxxx) wrote:

> The images were taken from several web pages. None of them claimed any
> copyright, so as I assume, the whole thing can be GPL'd.  Am I right?

No, unfortunately you are wrong. :-(

Laws may vary from one country to another, but at least in the USA any
artistic work is automatically copyrighted by its author, unless there
is a preexisting contract between an author/publisher etc.

You would need to get the copyright holder (probably whoever created the
images) to release them under the GPL.

(I'm also unsure about how the GPL applies to digital images in the first
place, since there's no "source code" for them....)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers