Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] New nation.ruleset: the world in 1600 AD; 1st try

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] New nation.ruleset: the world in 1600 AD; 1st try
From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Mar 2000 12:26:25 +0100

I put together a nation.ruleset for the world in 1600 AD;
now you too can fight the thirty years war!

Create a new subdirectory (e.g. "1600") of the data directory,
select it by the server command "set nations 1600", and play Richelieu
or the Duke of Alba.

I've included the following nations:
French, Spanish, English, Austrian, Ottoman, Swedish, Portuguese,
Mughal, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Polish, Scottish, Venetian.

I've included the Portuguese, even if they were in personal union with
Spain at the time; and also the Scottish, which are on the verge of
doing the same with England.  Many more nations could be added.

It is a first try, and there are still things to be done (marked TODO:
in the file): the flags of the French monarchy and of the Republic of
Venice must be drawn (and maybe others, e.g. Imperial Austria); the
city lists are in different stage of readiness (English, Swedish,
Portuguese, Chinese, and Scottish need work); the names of the
barbarian leaders must be replaced with villains suitable for 1600
(I'm short of ideas here; maybe chieftains of tribal peoples?)

Still, it seems to work and gives a nice flavour to the game IMHO.

Corrections and additions are welcome, but they should reflect the
theme of 1600.  New nation should be independent and sovereign;
city/nation attribution should reflect the situation in 1600.

Regards,
        Massimo Campostrini