[Freeciv-Dev] Splitting nations.ruleset (Re: Brazilian nation)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Splitting nations.ruleset (Re: Brazilian nation)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:24:15 -0300

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 03:12:18PM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:
> >From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:55:13 -0300
> >
> >I still maintain that we should split nations.ruleset by
> >epoch...
>
> This is a good idea in principle, but it may be harder to do than you would
> expect.  If you have a possible scheme in mind, don't hesitate to put it
> forward

I actually have, but I didn't yet stop to think how hard it
would be to implement.

The idea is that the nation data is stored in various files,
more or less with the current syntax for nations.ruleset -
let's call these "foo.nationset".

Then nations.ruleset becomes a list of .nationset files to
include, plus the "misc" section. The default would include
all the standard nationsets (meaning, those distributed with
the official Freeciv distribution).

A server command to clear the nations list and another one to
load a nationset file are the final piece of the puzzle.

Of course when a nationset is loaded the cities in it are
internally renumbered, I don't think this would be too much of
a problem (just throw more intelligence on the parser).

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.