[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more ai levels

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more ai levels
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:33:02 EST

From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:47:14 -0200

Ok, here are a few things I identified I do and could be used
on a "very easy" AI. They're not wrong per se, but they slow
down my advancement (so this would be a "less agressive" AI):

- fight for the wonders, all of them that are useful, starting
from the Pyramids, then Great Wall, Leonardo's, whatever.

I believe the AI does this, although its choice of wonders is somewhat questionable.

- use Caravans to build Wonders; this means it builds less
settlers and military units.

It sure does this too.

- put decent space between cities, and choose better the place
for them.

What would be a "decent space" for you? You do realize that if you put them too far apart, not only do you lose time for expansion (moving settlers are slow and they cost upkeep), but all the trade will be eaten up by corruption, especially at the beggining when you are under despotism.

- give minimal infrastructure to cities before moving on to
build the next one (irrigation on the city tile and the tile
where it draws most of its food, and if it's very close to some
other city, road).

Why do you need to irrigate the city tile when it already has "fake" irrigation?

- build harbour and temple before anything else (if available).

You do need these to grow your cities.

- worry a lot about happiness, and make sure all cities have
food surplus.

Only worry about these things when it's time to celebrate and grow. :) Of course, first you have to grow to at least size 3 (rapture_size).

And one additional limiting factor could be disallowing this AI
to attack huts.

The AI is only interested in exploring its own continent. It never brings its explorer across the sea, thus huts on other islands are often unexplored.

Mike