[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nationset

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nationset
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 12:47:17 +0100

> I agree. I come from a city in New Zealand called Hamilton and I know of
> at least 5 other Hamiltons around the world. Seems a bit silly to argue
> against that sort of thing in a game.

Thee are two issues here.  One is the idea of the same (real world)
cities occurring in different Freeciv nations, usually under
a different name.  This can sometimes touch upon real world
sensitivities.  Within the Freeciv world, there is nothing special
about these cities.  The other issue is the duplicate use of a city
name.  This has some consequences in the Freeciv world, but incidental
duplications won't cause a major confusion.  The only useful application
I can think of is to give all cities the same name, so as to hide
the capital.  A player who did this would run into some difficulties:
the home city of units becomes much harder to determine.  But the
game would still be playable.

--
Reinier