[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nationset

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nationset
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:33:25 EST

From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:43:58 +1100

I thought this was about civilations... yeah?
And each civ has it's own race of people or something?
well Australia's population was aboriginal until England "attacked"
therefore... cities like Sydney and Melbourne incorrect....They should be British cities.....

So we'll be taking out the American nation + city names then? It
really doesn't matter who founded the city IMO, many nations around
today inheirited their oldest cities from other nations. We could
include cities like Sydney and Melbourne as both English and
Australian cities, although some people seem to have a problem with
this sort of duplication. The way I see it there is ample room for
both a modern Australian nation and an Aboriginal nation, the only
problem being getting city names for the Aboriginal nation.

I don't think he is seriously suggesting "giving back" Sydney and Melbourne to the English. He is just trying to show how silly and pointless this whole argument really is (right Darth? :-). There is absolutely nothing wrong with duplicate city names. Can we please get past this and move on?

But seriously, there is currently a limit of 63 nations in the nations ruleset. And it seems we will run into it much sooner than the original author expected. We can either raise the limit (or get rid of it altogether), or we will need some criteria to determine which nations to include sooner or later. But at the moment there is nothing wrong with the nations we already have. And did I mention that there is absolutely nothing wrong with those duplicate city names?

This time I am pretty sure it was not just me.

Mike