[Freeciv-Dev] Re: ASCII client / small tileset (was: Freeciv for Palm?)

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: ASCII client / small tileset (was: Freeciv for Palm?)
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:44:44 +0100

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 12:03:32PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> I would be interested to find out if an ASCII client is feasible,
> but I'm not going to spend any time coding it.
>
> One step towards this is a tileset with tiles of minimal size (so more
> of the map fits on the screen at once); they would have to be B&W and
> abstract, similar to Chinese characters.  Abstract characters are easier
> to learn than it may seem.  It would be a great exercise in design,
> but I am not a designer.

Remember that now you automagically know if tile next
to one is the same. It is *very* important when exploring oceans.
Ex:
  ? ? ?
L W W ?
L X W ?
L W W ?
  ? ? ?
X - your unit on land
W - water
L - land
? - some unknown tile
    in Gtk+ you know if it is land or water,
    with ascii you won't (server sends this to
    client as YOU_KNOW_BUT_DO_NOT_SHOW tile)

It should be solved somehow for ascii client.
(or make ggi client and put it on top of aalib)