[Freeciv-Dev] Disasters

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Disasters
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:46:15 -0800

I know this is a little off the current threads since we are in a beta
stage right now, but someone emailed this to me so I wanted it archived
in the mailing list.

--
Paul Zastoupil
From: "Craig Johnston" <craigdjohnston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Disasters
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:28:29 +1100

I found the original Civilisation manual and here is a copy of the
disasters page:

  DISASTERS

Each game turn there is a chance that a disaster of some sort may
strike one of your cities.  A disaster may result in loss of population,
destruction of a city improvement, or disruption of production.  Some
disasters may be prevented if your civilisation has acquired certain
advances or if the city has built a certain improvement. in these cases,
the disaster does not occur or has no effect.

The possible disasters are described below.  For each there is an
explanation of why it occurs (if a reason exists), the effect on your
city when it strikes, and what measures can prevent it, if any.

Earthquake: Earthquakes may strike any city that is built adjacent to
Hills terrain.  There is nothing that you can build or learn to prevent
this disaster.  An earthquake destroys one city improvement.

Famine: Famine strikes randomly. It can   be prevented by building a
Granary improvement.  If it strikes a city with no Granary, all food in
the food storage box is lost and the city's population is reduced.

Fire: Fire can hit any city at any time.  It can be prevented by building
an Aqueduct improvement.  Fire destroys one city improvement.

Flood: Flood can strike any city built next to or on a River square.
It can be prevented by building a City Walls improvement.  Flood reduces
city population.

Piracy: Pirate raids may strike any city built adjacent to an Ocean
square.  Pirates can be prevented by building a Barracks improvement.
Pirates remove all food from the food storage box and destroy whatever
is being built in the production box.  All resources spent so far in
production are lost.

Plague: Plague may strike any city at any time.  It can be prevented by
acquiring the advance of Medicine or by building an Aqueduct improvement.
Plague reduces the city's population.

Volcano: A volcano may erupt and damage any city built adjacent to or on
Mountain terrain.  The effects of a volcano may be negated by building
a Temple improvement in the city.  Volcanic eruptions reduce the cities
population unless negated.