[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Lithuanian flag

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Lithuanian flag
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:25:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 04:16:01PM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:
> > >Freeciv is still too Western-Europe-centric (as were mpcivs 1 and 2)
> > >Time to change it.
> >
> > Please elaborate.
>
> Is it reasonable to add 2 nations : Ukrainians and Lithuanians ?
> (I have them locally)
>
> They were quite important in the past (at least .li in ~ 1300-1600)
> for East Europe.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

> BTW:
> what does *exactly* attack, explore & civilized mean ?

Um. I suggest you install a dictionary locally.  There are some good ones
bundled with debian, say.

Meanwhile:

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Attack \At*tack"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Attacked}; p. pr. & vb.
     n. {Attacking}.] [F. attaquer, orig. another form of attacher
     to attack: cf. It. attacare to fasten, attack. See {Attach},
     {Tack} a small nail.]
     1. To fall upon with force; to assail, as with force and
        arms; to assault. ``Attack their lines.'' --Dryden.

     2. To assail with unfriendly speech or writing; to begin a
        controversy with; to attempt to overthrow or bring into
        disrepute, by criticism or satire; to censure; as, to
        attack a man, or his opinions, in a pamphlet.

     3. To set to work upon, as upon a task or problem, or some
        object of labor or investigation.

     4. To begin to affect; to begin to act upon, injuriously or
        destructively; to begin to decompose or waste.

              On the fourth of March he was attacked by fever.
                                                    --Macaulay.

              Hydrofluoric acid . . . attacks the glass. --B.
                                                    Stewart.

     Syn: To {Attack}, {Assail}, {Assault}, {Invade}.

Meaning (1) is the meaning in freeciv.

From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

  explore
       v 1: inquire into [syn: {research}, {search}]
       2: travel to or penetrate into; of unknown territory, for
          scientific purposes
       3: examine minutely
       4: examine for diagnostic purposes, as of organs

Meaning (2) is the FC one.

From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

  civilized
       adj 1: having a high state of culture and development both social
              and technological; "terrorist acts that shocked the
              civilized world" [ant: {noncivilized}]
       2: marked by refinement in taste and manners; "cultivated
          speech"; "cultured Bostonians"; "cultured tastes"; "a
          genteel old lady"; "polite society" [syn: {cultivated},
{cultured},
           {genteel}, {polite}]

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Jules aka     | jules@xxxxxxxxxx              |  Richmond, Surrey   |