[Freeciv-Dev] patch: remove free "extra" shield surplus (PR#250)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: remove free "extra" shield surplus (PR#250)
From: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 04:46:49 -0800 (PST)

After much debate, I think David summed it up nicely: "And thus 0 surplus should mean 0 surplus, for both Civ1 and Civ2." So here is again the patch to remove this bug/feature.

As a related move, I also changed the "if" condition used to check for the need to disband units due to lack of shields for upkeep to a "while" loop, which means as many units will be disbanded as necessary in order to restore the shield surplus of the city to at least zero. Previously, only one unit would be disbanded in this situation, and you get a free shield surplus even if it's actually still a deficit. Alternatively, we can keep the limit of one unit disbanded per turn and just set the shield surplus to zero if it's still negative afterwards. That would be a less drastic change. Again, I will leave the choice to the experts.

I would also like to mention that after palying with the modified code, neither the AI nor myself was bothered much by this change.

Mike