[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why client-side AI could be a Bad Thing

To: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why client-side AI could be a Bad Thing
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:34:16 -0500

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 07:34:10PM +0100, Arkadiusz Danilecki was heard to say:
> Well.. You never play via modem 28kb/s right? :)
>
> On weak machines it could be problem. It will be only seconds, right, but,
> as i say, i just hate wait few seconds for other players, and that will be
> additional seconds...

  The assumption is that the client and server will be on the same machine.  I
think that the bandwidth and CPU time required should be *MUCH* less than, say,
the requirements of the Freeciv (human-controlled) client.  Certainly no worse,
since the human client needs network connections and data transfer to/from both
the Freeciv server and the X server.  I'd expect the real bottleneck to be the
graphical client displaying the moves being made by the AI.

  Daniel

--
We are Debian of Borg.  You will be packaged.  Resistance is futile.