[Freeciv-Dev] Re: release time

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: release time
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:29:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> > The last few months have produced some great new features, both large and
> > small, in Freeciv.  Thanks to everyone who has put in the time to make so
> > many improvements!
> >
> > Now it's time to share these improvements with everyone.  In keeping with
> > the goal of producing a new, stable release every 3-4 months, we need to
> > start planning for a release sometime in February.
> >

> Will IQ's building.ruleset enhancement patches be incorporated before the
> release?
>
> Given the inanity of a 1.10 version number, perhaps it is better to admit
> defeat and see that we will never make such a big jump to warrant 2.0, so
> we can just as well go the Emacs and Solaris route of dropping the
> first number, and calling it release 10.

There's nothing wrong with 1.10 as a version number.

Only commercial companies do stupid things like
6.0-->7.0-->7.1-->7.5-->8.0-->8.5-->9.0-->9.0.1--->'X'

Or should that be 3.0-->3.1-->95-->98--->2000

Whatever.

Anyhow, there are loads of unix packages out there with version numbers
X.Y.Z where Y and Z needn't be single digit.

The correct time to go to 2.0 is if we ever have the uuumph to branch a
separate version and start working on big code changes :-)

Or, alternatively, stick to the roadmap!

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Jules aka     | jules@xxxxxxxxxx              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |