[Freeciv-Dev] Re: A Genius is Born

To: Jason Todd <idjason@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: A Genius is Born
From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:28:01 +0100 (MET)

>  Why not have an event called A Genius is Born. What this would be is
> that some guy like Isaac Newton or Einstein, is born and you get an
> increased research rate for say, 50 turns. The likelyhood of this
> happening would be enough that one would be born once every 500 years
> per civ.

> What does everyone think

It will definitively add something to the game - but it breaks with the
intention of getting as close to pay-civ as possible, doesn't it?

Think about this; of all the "well-known geniouses", most of them were
living in ancient Greece or in Europe after 1450 ... there is very few
"well-known geniouses" from the "dark" middle-ages.

So where does this lead us?  It's not enough that a genious is born -
the external conditions must be right for allowing a genious to develope,
do scientifical work and even to get the scientifical results accepted by
the community (have you heard of dr Semmelweis?).

What about those ideas ... might require quite a lot of work, but I think
it might increase the realism:

- remove the wonders that are directly related to famous scientists

- every time a city grow, there is a certain chance (based on the science
production in the city) that the newcomer is a genious.

- The name is picked from a list of real well-known scientists,
semi-randomly and partly from what has and hasn't been researched.

- A genious might be used just like any other worker, but as long as the
food production allows it, he is by default working as a scientist.

- A genious working as a scientist will produce twice as much bulbs as a
normal scientist.

- A genious working as a scientist at a city with a university will
increase bulb production with 50%

- There is a chance (calculated from the citys total bulb production)
every turn that a scientist genious will suddently finish his "major" work
if the dependencies are satisfied.  I.e. Newton might suddently come up
with Newtons Laws of gravity - independent of the current research effort.

- A genious might be moved from one city to another.

--
Tobias Brox (alias TobiX) - sysguy - +4722925871 - http://www.funcom.com/
If an _urgent_ email is not acted upon within 10 minutes, you might try