[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Music

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Music
From: Per Inge Mathisen <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:29:39 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 rutger@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> What did you use to implement this? I implemented a sound daemon 2
> weeks ago, which could play multiple streams of samples together with
> a module (.XM, .MOD) file using the MikMod library. Maybe we could act
> together.

I implement esound, because it is easy, and because it is the standard for
gnome (which I use). I am keeping everything implementation independent so
that other sound daemons/systems can easily be added. There is no
reason freeciv should be shiping a sound daemon of its own, though.

The basic implementation is this: Server reads sound tags from rulesets
(with alternates as with graphics), accumulates them into a double array
of strings (should be using genlists, but, frankly, they scare me), then
the server sends this structure to client, which then reads a spec-file
that translates tags into sound files. The rulesets store sound
information as int references to the double array, which in the audio code
is translated into sound files (or in the case of esound, references to
the sound cache). Since it is stored as ints and arrays it should be
fast.

Once I get some working code I'll post it here for comments.

Yours,
Per