[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Re: Suggestion: boat attack

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Re: Suggestion: boat attack
From: Karsten Held <Karsten.Held@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:21:06 +0100

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Has anyone tried the patch I posted recently which attempts to bring
> ships into Civ2 compliance by decreasing movement points after an attack?
> Does it go far enough toward the goals of this thread?

I tried it out and, indeed, when fighting the AI who builds many units per city
it prevents you from getting cities to easily with just one ironclad or so.
Instead of four attacks with ironclad you have e.g. 2 or 2 2/3 and this
does not empty the AIs cities (and the AI can build a new unit every turn).
In particular, far away from your home island you can hardly conquer cities
with few boats.
This does the game balance job.

However, if you have Magellans this changes. What you cannot do is some kind of
surprise attack
like moving 3 turns and using the rest to empty the city. But, when you move
your ironclad
in front of the city first and use the next turn to fight you can also fight
far away from your home island.

I think this makes Magellan's somewhat more powerful than before. Since it was
already the
most powerful wonder on gen 2 before (maybe Michelangelo's was compareable),
this could destroy
game balance.

> Even if your option is triggered only for the player who has Magellan,
> then you still have a potential problem when someone wants to move his
> Ironclad 5 spaces and then attack once.  If your objective was only to
> prevent someone from attacking 6 times per turn, then the cure is worse
> than the disease -- now he can't attack even once.

I don't think this is bad. If one variant form of Magella'ns would work this
way,
Magellan's would be the wonder "which helps your boats to MOVE beyond the usual
movement" but it does not help to attack after your usual turn. Magellan's
would be much
less powerful but still a good wonder comparable (not superior to) Leonardo's
or
Michelangelo's.
If it is just a variant everybody can choose him/herself whether to have
Magellan's
as additional movement or additional movement/attacks.

The proposal to use the one-attack flag for boats sounds to be an alternative...
I admit, I always disliked that for bombers. Maybe one can implement somewhat
similar like the boat patch for bombers etc...

In any case, thanks for the patch.

--

Karsten