Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wonder Variant

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wonder Variant
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 06:15:40 -0500

At 1999/12/28 00:08 , Hung Wah Choy wrote:
>> Rather than defining a bunch of buildings that can't be built, and then
>> running through an inheritance chain, why not just have a list of named
>> effects for each building?  I find all the extra buildings very confusing.
>
>Agree, just that there are many similar yet slightly different effects.
>Maybe a list of perimeterized and conditional effects.

Like, any name in the list may optionally be followed by a parameter list,
e.g.:

effects   = "UnhappyToContent(2)"

>> Adding "range" is good (but, wihtout the building inheritance stuff, I
>> don't think it needs "None" as a possible value).
>Just in case someone create some weird wonders.

Ah!  I just remembered, perhaps one-shots (like Darwin's Voyage) are best
described as a range of "None".

Combining the above two (effects and range), we might do something like a
pair of parallel lists, where each effect can have a different range, e.g:

effects   = "ContentToHappy(1)", "ContentToHappy(2)"
ranges    = "Nation", "City"

(this describes the documented effects of the Hanging Gardens).

jjm