Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dedicated Civserver

To: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dedicated Civserver
From: Aasmund Midttun Godal <aasmundg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:15:18 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> I have just made arrangements to get a AMD K6-2 400 in my possession in
> order to run a dedicated civserver.  I am writing an email to the list
> for 2 reasons.

Great!
> 1. If someone could work (or has already worked) on setting up a server
> that will auto-respawn and allow the first client (and subsequent first
> reconnects if no one is connected) some level of server control.  Then
> we can have this constant civserver for people to connect to when
> looking for a game.  Down the road with some modifications like
> player/client id's etc. we can set up a real live ranking system.   I
> would also like to set up a server in Europe for redundancy, speed, and
> time zone differences.  If anyone has a spare machine and a dedicated
> connection, or can arrange one, please let us know.
Ok, I think the easiest way to do this is the following:

Create a cgi-script that allows people to start new servers at a specific
port.

Make the server load a standard file which sets "cmdlevel hack", that user
can then change the cmdlevel again.

Then there are 2 options:

1) Make a little hack that kills the server when there are no-one logged
on.

2) Make a little perl, sh, or such like script that looks up the
metaserver and checks whether anyone are connected to the game, and if
there aren't then kills the server. It should also kill it if the server
is not listed on the metaserver (but can connect) as this means the server
has hung.

A nice little bonus feature would be that the cgi-script also could load
savegames.
--

Aasmund Midttun Godal

aasmund@xxxxxxxxx - http://www.godal.com/
+47 93 65 98 50 - Pb. 48 Blindern N-0313 Oslo