Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] cvs-tags and snapshots

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] cvs-tags and snapshots
From: Markus Linnala <maage@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Sep 1999 11:56:27 +0300

I find term 'latest cvs' ambiguous. We lack way to track
developement.

My idea is to make every now and then cvs-snapshot release. Tag
should be something like SS_YEAR_MONT_DAY_COUNTER,
(SS_1999_09_17_001). No need to make any provisions.

If you provede patch now, it is agains latest cvs, but who knows
what is latest? With reasonably frequent snapshots, you could
always say yes this is agains the snapshot.

You could also track bugs during cvs-cycle more easliy, lates ss
fails, but ss week ago doesn't. To do this you need way to
downgrade sources and snapshots provide that.

Also it should be easy to say, this bug is fixed at cvs-snapshot
tagged SS_1999_09_17_001.

And if you want to play agains a friend, it is easy to tell, I'm
using the snapshot, fetch, compile, and let's play.

--
//Markus