Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: Guile and speed (Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Adding scripting language)

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Guile and speed (Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Adding scripting language)
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 19:50:42 +0200

Jules Bean wrote:

> Which JVM are you using for this test?  I'm guessing that you're using
> an extremely fast one., because I wouldn't expect a result anything like
> that fast.
>
> Running the test on a machine I have access to, I get a result of 90s!
> And this is on a Pentium II 350, using jikes to compile and kaffe to run
> it.  So, I'm guessing you're using a high-quality JIT - probably
> microsoft's or symantec's.  Those buggers are superb, and will have
> JITed the java into a tight assembler loop almost as good as the C one.

Kaffe is very slow for jit. In fact it is often outperformed even by
TYA, which uses extremly simple one-for-one translation of bytecodes.
I've used linux JDK1.2b2, with sun's jit - not hotspot,symatec or ms jit
(actually symantec and hotspot is almost 2 times slower ??)

And yes, what I was trying to show is that java has a lot more
possibilities to optimize, has better technology and support and is
faster than any of these 'very fast' freely available script languages.

Anyway, I still vote for guile for freeciv vm - speed isn't really
important here.

Artur