Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] fltk + civclient: anyone consider a port?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] fltk + civclient: anyone consider a port?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:37:24 +0200

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 12:00:56PM +1000, David Pfitzner wrote:
> "jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >     On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:09:47 +0200  Reinier Post wrote:
> > >   'Read my lips: no new clients.'
> >
> >     That's a shame, because I'm starting work on porting FreeCiv to BeOS.
>
> Well, the above comment was probably serious, but it is the
> opinion of one freeciv developer, and other developers may or
> may not agree with it.

First of all, I don't even consider myself a developer;
my contributions to the code are very few.

Second, the request was for 'thoughts'.  This is my first thought
whenever someone announces or suggests another client.

> Personally, I would suggest that additional clients be discouraged,
> but people can do them if they want.  (Of course freeciv is free
> software, so we can't stop such ports even if we wanted to, but
> the issue is folding them into the current main project.)

Exactly ...

An almost-finished patch I've done is for city build queue support.
One reason I abandoned it is the fact that the client side has
to be programmed twice: once for Xaw, once for GTK.  The clients
are still very similar, so the actual coding doesn't take too much
work, but GTK+ wasn't installed on my Solaris test machines until
I did it last month, and I'm still not sure if it will run properly.
It would be unreasonable to leave the GTK+ part of the patch to
'the GTK guy' or 'anybody who feels like doing it'.

--
Reinier