Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] fltk + civclient: anyone consider a port?

To: jrb3@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] fltk + civclient: anyone consider a port?
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:00:56 +1000 (EST)

"jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:09:47 +0200  Reinier Post wrote:
> >   'Read my lips: no new clients.'
>
>       That's a shame, because I'm starting work on porting FreeCiv to BeOS.

Well, the above comment was probably serious, but it is the
opinion of one freeciv developer, and other developers may or
may not agree with it.

Personally, I would suggest that additional clients be discouraged,
but people can do them if they want.  (Of course freeciv is free
software, so we can't stop such ports even if we wanted to, but
the issue is folding them into the current main project.)

>       Which brings up the issue of submitting source changes to freeciv.
> I can file a bug against the server, providing the patches needed to let it
> run on BeOS.  Is the same mechanism preferred for a new client, which would
> appear in a new subdirectory (client/gui-beos/)?

I would think that would be ok, BUT, if this were included, it
would NOT necessarily mean freeciv maintainers/developers would
support/maintain/develop that directory, or even ensure it compiles,
as such people may not have the hardware/software/expertise or even
the inclination to do so.  Though presumably patches to maintain
that directory would be accepted, and it would probably make sense
to have more or more people as "official" maintainers of the port,
integrating patches and/or having cvs write access for that directory.

-- David