Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv server doesn't work on BeOS (PR#121)

To: jrb3@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv server doesn't work on BeOS (PR#121)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:26:47 +1000 (EST)

"jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > rather than using "#if __BEOS__" etc.

>  I need the following effects to
> occur (using only changes to configure.in).  I already have a safe way to
> check for BeOS-ness (nested test -x /bin/uname and x`/bin/uname -s` = xBeOS,
> or possibly AC_CHECK_PROG(UNAME,uname,uname,:) and test x`$UNAME -s` = xBeOS),

Well, I should say I'm not absolutely opposed to using "#if __BEOS__",
eg, in difficult cases; it just shouldn't be the first resort.

> but have to make some BeOS-only adjustments:
>
> 1)  Set ALWAYS_ROOT

This seems to be a tricky case and I think just putting
a check for __BEOS__ in dont_run_as_root() would be ok
(where the current __EMX__ check is).

> 2)  Unset HAVE_SYS_UIO_H because it causes compilation errors.

Hmm, maybe resort to #if __BEOS__ here too :-/
Or as you suggested below.

> 3)  Define usleep() to be a wrapper for snooze()

Should probably check for snooze() in configure and
check HAVE_SNOOZE in myusleep() if not HAVE_USLEEP.

>       I think I can handle #2 by AC_TRY_COMPILE and dropping sys/uio.h
> from AC_CHECK_HEADERS (or whatever its name is).  I don't want to have to
> dig into configure internals to make these three happen.  Suggestions?

-- David