Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv server doesn't work on BeOS (PR#121)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv server doesn't work on BeOS (PR#121)
From: "jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP)" <jrb3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 09:44:43 -0700

> > FreeCiv doesn't work on BeOS at all yet.
>
> Um, would it be possible to work from the current CVS version
> of freeciv or a recent snapshot?

        Okay, I've gotten CVS set up and accessing the freeciv top-of-trunk
versions.  You're right, the patch will be much simpler.

> Are you using configure for the freeciv server for BeOS?
> If not, the prefered approach is to supply an appropriate
> config.h, and define appropriate new things there if necessary,
> rather than using "#if __BEOS__" etc.

        Yes, `./configure --disable-client` is sufficient to get most of the
way there.  However, I needed to find out what changes would eventually be
folded back into configure.in, and I don't want to wrestle with autoconf yet.
I realize that it were best to provide configure.in changes along with the
others.

        Thanks for letting me know about the config.h approach.  Tips to
a clue-deprived autoconf-newbie wanted!  I need the following effects to
occur (using only changes to configure.in).  I already have a safe way to
check for BeOS-ness (nested test -x /bin/uname and x`/bin/uname -s` = xBeOS,
or possibly AC_CHECK_PROG(UNAME,uname,uname,:) and test x`$UNAME -s` = xBeOS),
but have to make some BeOS-only adjustments:

1)  Set ALWAYS_ROOT
2)  Unset HAVE_SYS_UIO_H because it causes compilation errors.
3)  Define usleep() to be a wrapper for snooze()

        I think I can handle #2 by AC_TRY_COMPILE and dropping sys/uio.h
from AC_CHECK_HEADERS (or whatever its name is).  I don't want to have to
dig into configure internals to make these three happen.  Suggestions?

                Joseph
----
Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP              +1.408.452.0721
Be Do Have Software                     http://www.jrb3.com/bdh