Re: [Freeciv-Dev] terrain ruleset implementation

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] terrain ruleset implementation
From: Tatu Rissanen <trident@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 21:09:30 +0200 (EET DST)

> Jeff Mallatt wrote:
>
> While we're tossing around some thoughts on tiles, a minor visual ugliness
> is the little nick that shows up at the corners of diagonal roads and
> (especially) railroads.
>
> Perhaps some tiles could be "inflated" with respect to the standard tile
> size for the set, and these "border" pixels used to smooth the joins at the
> corners.

Rendering pixels outside the rectangular tile area (30x30 or 45x45)
sounds like a change to the rendered module. I've been under the
impression that the rendered (or the loader) module cannot handle images
extending beyond the tile edges. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

The information how much border the tiles have must come from somewhere.
It cannot be hardcoded - the required border size depends on the width of
the road. The 'spec' file mentioned in earlier posts would be handy.

Another approach (worth mentioning, but not implementing):

How about using the same technique as for the shores? It requires
defining 16 corner tiles to fill the nicks. That is 16 for roads and 16
for railroads. And if the rivers become road-like, for them too.

This method would probably work with current resources, but introducing
dozens of new tiles to fix a minor visual ugliness is not worth it.

--
Tatu Rissanen
tatu.rissanen