Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Yet another Gtk+ Server patch

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Yet another Gtk+ Server patch
From: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:53:56 -0400

Hello,

I happen to agree with everything that you say, so I'm going to clarify my
position with you a bit.

I feel, as some others may, that there are certain things that you can do with a
graphical client that you can't do with a text one and vice-versa. It's all a
matter of how data is presented. Obviously, the text server currently does its
job rather well and I don't want to argue that, however there are additional
points of view and I feel that as what I am working on becomes more robust, I
hope that will become more clear. Of course, it is your option whether or not to
include my code. To be honest, I hope that you do as it includes some change
which I feel would be helpful to freeciv on a whole, but that is a matter which
is not terribly objective.

That being said however, I should mention to you that the latest version of my
patch includes full text-mode support once again, and I'm nearly positive that I
have worked out the bugs. I will make a the configuration of the gtk server a
configure time option as you suggest, currently it is enabled if Gtk is found.
(Which is how I thought the Gtk client worked.)

I do not wish to sound impatient, that is not my feeling at all. If you would
prefer that the code be more stable before it be integrated, that's fine. I will
do everything I can to make it as suitable for inclusion as possible. At that
time, we will determine whether it is truly suitable and work out an integration
plan.

Joe

David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 07/18/99 10:39:50 PM