Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Yet another Gtk+ Server patch

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Yet another Gtk+ Server patch
From: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:26:17 -0400

Hello,

Just as a clarification, I would like to stress that I am not damaging the
portability of the server. If anything, I am separating the server into
functional and front-end components. The textual front end is retained in my
program and is as functional as ever. (Well, as soon things stabilize. I have
not made a couple changes that I know of to the code base to restore the server
100%, but those are fairly trivial and they will be in the next couple patches.)

There are a number of reasons why having a graphical server would be
advantagous. It does allow for a different view of the game than you can get
with a text server. Eventually, I hope to add code for a sort of spectator mode
to the server and we will be able to take advantage of the gui code to provide
some better view of the game from the server perspective. You can more closely
watch AI players play, for instance, you can compare different player's
strategies without ever beging a part of the game. These are things that I am
thinking about when doing this server. These aren't the only reasons for this
server, but these are some of the things that I am thinking about on the long
term.

Joe

Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 07/17/99 11:36:33
AM