Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch for changing production

To: jmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch for changing production
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 22:11:53 +1000 (EST)

John-Marc Chandonia wrote:

> This is a patch to add one of the more useful features from Galactic
> Civ... changing production of a certain item at multiple cities.

>  This is implemented via a "change all" button
> in the city report.

Hi,

Thanks for your patch, and sorry to take so long to get
back to you.

I've just checked in a previously submitted patch by someone
else (which also took too long...) which allows selecting
multiple cities (or all cities) and giving Change or Buy
commands to the selected group.

I _think_ this now makes your patch unnecessary.  But if you
disagree, please say.  And of course feel free to make further
improvements!

>   I'd like to try "build lists" next (another useful feature of GalCiv).
> >From older messages, it looks like somebody may be doing this, so I'd
> hate to duplicate effort if there is already some code.

Someone did, but I suspect you're probably just as well off
starting from scratch on this.

>   I put some code for this patch in city.c and climisc.c in order to
> minimize GUI dependence.

Good! :-)

>  I noticed city.c has many improvement* functions
> that aren't really city related; should these remain in city.c or be split
> off into improvement.c?

Agreed!  I would like to see such a split.  Probably split off
unittype.c from unit.c too.

I note there need not be any problems with having to change/add
lots of includes in other files, because city.h would probably
include improvement.h anyway.

Regards,
-- David