[Freeciv-Dev] patch for changing production

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] patch for changing production
From: John-Marc Chandonia <jmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:27:30 -0700

This is a patch to add one of the more useful features from Galactic
Civ... changing production of a certain item at multiple cities.  I.e.
you could start a war with your neighbor, then change all "Research Lab"
production into "Stealth Bomber" without looking at each city.  I find
this very useful late in the game, when there are a lot of cities and
one frequently needs to make large scale production changes in response
to changes in strategy.  This is implemented via a "change all" button
in the city report.

A few notes:
  I have only implemented this in the GTK client; I'd appreciate it
if somebody who knows Xaw would port it there.  Also, I'm just now learning
GTK, so I apologize for any newbie mistakes!
  I'd like to try "build lists" next (another useful feature of GalCiv).
From older messages, it looks like somebody may be doing this, so I'd
hate to duplicate effort if there is already some code.
  I put some code for this patch in city.c and climisc.c in order to
minimize GUI dependence.  I noticed city.c has many improvement* functions
that aren't really city related; should these remain in city.c or be split
off into improvement.c?  I followed existing guidelines in adding my
new functions, but there's really too much non-city stuff in city.c.

Please try this patch and send me feedback; I'll take suggestions into
account and submit a final patch.  This one is against the Jul 9 CVS.

JMC
--
John-Marc Chandonia (jmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)              We're everywhere...
Cohen Lab, University of California San Francisco       for your convenience.