Re: [Freeciv-Dev] versions on stuff in freeciv

To: mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] versions on stuff in freeciv
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:49:45 +1000 (EST)

Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> > > And the europe map .. doesnt have a size identication either :( or a
> > > version number for that matter.
> >
> > It doesn't need a size because at the moment there is only
> > one size to chose from! :-)  It does actually have a version:
>
> Heh but as the user I would like to know before firing it up .. ;) Also
> I would like to know the version number with opening the file .. aint
> that much work to do to add size and version number.

So where do you want the version number?  In the filename?
I don't like that because then the file keeps moving around,
and we have to keep changing the makefiles, and cvs doesn't
track the changes to the file nicely, etc.

I think the distribution should usually just contain the latest
version of whatever, under a fixed filename.  If people want older
versions, then CVS or the ftp site is fine for those.

-- David