Re: [Freeciv-Dev] MFC patches

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] MFC patches
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:25:25 +1000

Falk Hueffner wrote:

> Andy Black <ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > The folowing is a sequence of diff files that I made against the CVS server
> > today.  Could someone check to verify that they don't break the server code?
> > [...]
> > +#if !(GENERATING68K || GENERATINGPPC) /* non mac header(s) */
>
> The philosophy of autoconf is to never check in the source for certain
> *machines*, but check in the configure script for certain
> *features*. So I suggest you check in the configure script if there
> are certain headers or whatever the particular source part depends on
> and set a variable according.

But presumably the configure script doesn't run on Macs? :-(

Which raises mostly the same issues as a native Win32 version,
which has the same problem that configure does not run, and
may similar solutions.  See
http://www.complete.org/mailinglists/archives/freeciv-dev-199906/msg00289.html
for my previous thoughts on this.

My preference would probably for ports to such systems to provide
their own config.h, (eg config.h.mac), which is copied to config.h
(either by the user, or in a Makefile).  Then the compile system
(Makefiles etc) has to define the symbol HAVE_CONFIG_H so config.h
gets included, or we could just include config.h unconditionally.

It may even make sense to use some config.h symbols which are not
actually used by configure, but only in custom config.h files, eg:
HAVE_OPENTRANSPORT

Regards,
-- David