Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Settlers and the Pyramids (PR#39)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Settlers and the Pyramids (PR#39)
From: stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 03:51:41 -0700 (PDT)

dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Nolan Lichti wrote:
> > Version: 1.8.0
> > I had the Pyramids (ie, Granaries in all cities), and I built a settler
> > in one city.  The food stock dropped below half, which it shouldn't for
> > a city with a granary.  There might be a good reason why this happened;
> > I'm not fully sure how the granaries work.
>
> Maybe it dropped to half, and then in the same turn the city grew
> (which will happen if you build a settler when the foodbox is greater
> than half full) so the foodbox got bigger, and so the food stock was
> then less than half of the new total.  Is that consistent with what
> you saw?

If I understand what you're saying then this is what happens:
1. Settler is built.
2. City size is reduced due to 1. Food stock (unchanged) is now full.
3. City size is increased due to 2. Food stock is reset to halfway.
4. Any food production surplus or shortage is applied.
If the city now has a food shortage the stock could be below half.

That's the correct behaviour, but it's a fairly unusual situation.

> But I haven't looked closely at the relevant code.  And even if that
> was the case, its still questionable whether that is how it should
> work or not.  (And then there have in the past been suggestions that
> the whole treatment of the foodbox when building a settler rewards
> micromanagement too much, and should be revised.)

I don't think we should be worried about that rewarding micromanagement too
much. They are already penalised by the amount of time it takes. Adding some
macro level controls would do more to reduce micromanagement (eg preferences
for automatic building, and automatic settlers).

Regards,
Steve Hodge