Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cannot connect to server

To: "H. L. Shepard" <shephome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cannot connect to server
From: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:38:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

     you encountered a classical problem here. Hugo is there something
which can be add in the freeciv rpm package to mention the need of
LOOPBACK to be configured ?

    Concerning your problem, here are what Mitch Davis advices :
Can someone take some time to transform Mitch answer into a minimum HOWTO
to configure LOOPBACK ?
<<<
Greg O'Keefe wrote:

> g'day Mitch
>
> Thanks again for your assistance with my 'network unreachable' problem.
> Your mailings helped me find the right words to look for in the doco
> (like "loopback"...), and gave me some damn good clues.

You're welcome.

> I gather these commands should appear in some startup file
> somewhere. The fact that they don't (or if they do, they haven't the
> desired effect) would seem to reflect badly on the distribution (Red Hat
> 5.2).

I run 5.2.  The loopback should be working fine by default.

> Anyhow, all that remains now is to work out where to stick these lines
> so I don't have to retype them every time I start up the system

- You should have a file called /etc/sysconfig/network that contains
  (among other things) "NETWORKING=yes"
- You should have a file called /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
- You should have a file called /etc/rc.d/init.d/network, and
  somewhere inside, the line "./ifup ifcfg-lo"
- In the /etc/rc[0123456].d dirs, you should have at least
  one "S10network" entry.  These should be symlinks to the
  network file given above.  You can find this with
  "find /etc/rc.d -name S10network"

Well, that's all the files.  If things don't seem to be
running, put echos in and trace it through and find out
why not.

The goal is to have this:

mjd@ebbandflow [/etc/rc.d] ifconfig lo
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          collisions:0

By the time you're finished.

yht  Anyhow, all that remains now is to work out where to stick these
lines
> so I don't have to retype them every time I start up the system

> PS Please ask if you or any of the active FreeCiv people would like me
> to follow this up more carefully for a FAQ entry or whatever.

You're always welcome.  Freeciv's success is built on participation.
Note, that in general it's one of four problems.

The first is that networking (and especially TCP/IP) has not
been compiled into the kernel.

The second is not having a loopback, and this can be both
diagnosed and more or less solved by my advice above.  (Other
Linux distributions can and will vary).

The third is that the default DNS settings for RedHat are
IMHO, broken, in that lookups take far too long if you're not
actually connected to the Net.  I change my /etc/resolv.conf
to look as attached.  This of course would have to be tailored
to suit.

The fourth is that their networking settings are screwed, and
no recipe-style fix-it will help.  People in this predicament
should seek expert help.  It's what user groups are for.

Having said all this, you are also welcome to steal it for
a FAQ entry.  But if you must mention my name, please make it
clear that I don't want to get mail about fixing problems!! :-)

Regards,

Mitch.