Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cannot connect to server

To: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "H. L. Shepard" <shephome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cannot connect to server
From: Hugo van der Kooij <Hugo.van.der.Kooij@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 22:57:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Nicolas Brunel wrote:

>      you encountered a classical problem here. Hugo is there something
> which can be add in the freeciv rpm package to mention the need of
> LOOPBACK to be configured ?

If someone can write up a clean textfile I'll add it to the package.

But it basically boils down to this:

You need to have IP networking running for any successfull communication
between client and server. I will see if there is a way to enforce this
(if at all possible) in the package.

> [...]
>
> > Anyhow, all that remains now is to work out where to stick these lines
> > so I don't have to retype them every time I start up the system
>
> - You should have a file called /etc/sysconfig/network that contains
>   (among other things) "NETWORKING=yes"
> - You should have a file called /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
> - You should have a file called /etc/rc.d/init.d/network, and
>   somewhere inside, the line "./ifup ifcfg-lo"
> - In the /etc/rc[0123456].d dirs, you should have at least
>   one "S10network" entry.  These should be symlinks to the
>   network file given above.  You can find this with
>   "find /etc/rc.d -name S10network"
>
> Well, that's all the files.  If things don't seem to be
> running, put echos in and trace it through and find out
> why not.
>
> The goal is to have this:
>
> mjd@ebbandflow [/etc/rc.d] ifconfig lo
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
>           RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0
>
> By the time you're finished.
>
> yht  Anyhow, all that remains now is to work out where to stick these
> lines
> > so I don't have to retype them every time I start up the system
>
> > PS Please ask if you or any of the active FreeCiv people would like me
> > to follow this up more carefully for a FAQ entry or whatever.
>
> You're always welcome.  Freeciv's success is built on participation.
> Note, that in general it's one of four problems.
>
> The first is that networking (and especially TCP/IP) has not
> been compiled into the kernel.
>
> The second is not having a loopback, and this can be both
> diagnosed and more or less solved by my advice above.  (Other
> Linux distributions can and will vary).
>
> The third is that the default DNS settings for RedHat are
> IMHO, broken, in that lookups take far too long if you're not
> actually connected to the Net.  I change my /etc/resolv.conf
> to look as attached.  This of course would have to be tailored
> to suit.
>
> The fourth is that their networking settings are screwed, and
> no recipe-style fix-it will help.  People in this predicament
> should seek expert help.  It's what user groups are for.
>
> Having said all this, you are also welcome to steal it for
> a FAQ entry.  But if you must mention my name, please make it
> clear that I don't want to get mail about fixing problems!! :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mitch.
> >>>

> On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, H. L. Shepard wrote:
>
> > I am running 1.8.0. I downloaded the rpm package.
> > First ... I have Server and client both running successfully on a
> > network machine. 100 MHz Pentium, 16 Meg RAM, two Kingston EtherRX
> > (tulip) network cards.
> > Second I cannot get it to run on a NON_NETWORKED machine. I get "network

hvdkooij@xxxxxxx                 http://www.caiw.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!