Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Delay opening GTK city display. (PR#18)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Delay opening GTK city display. (PR#18)
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 06:03:07 -0500

Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:

> > The upgrade to GTK 1.2.3 "fixed" this problem, but at the cost of
> > breaking my theme engine (incompatabiliies with libpixmap).  I'll either
> > find a compatible libpixmap or decide which break I want to live with...
>
> Well, you could always recompile libpixmap again (yuck).  I'll try fixing
> that so it can work with gtk+ versions < 1.2.3 besides >= 1.2.3 (i may
> have to use #ifdef's.  Anyway, i'll only be able to do those changes after
> next week (i have 5 exams next week).

I really like GTK+, but everything using it seems to be extremely
version-sensitive.  Half the programs in their software archive won't compile
if you have a more recent version of any of the components.  And I've got
several things that rely on it (FreeCiv, GNOME, 3rd party Ada bindings), so
it's getting to the point where I'm reluctant to upgrade it.  I hope the'll
stabilize things pretty soon.

However, the delay in the city display was a real nuissance, so maybe I'll
just upgrade to 1.2.3 and quit using the pixmap-based themes.

Thanks for looking at it, and good luck on the exams.

Bobby.