Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wishlist:Out of fuel (PR#23)

To: FreeCiv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wishlist:Out of fuel (PR#23)
From: Mark Nettle <markn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:16:27 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Martin Christensen wrote:

> Alexandre BERAUD wrote:
> > >Another realistic element could be emergency landings, where the unit
> > >suffers damage according to terrain type after which it may be returned
> > >to the nearest city. This is provided, of course, that the unit is over
> > >friendly terrain. How about that?
[snip]
> Such a warning would be a good idea in any case. But here's how I
> justify my suggestion: crash landings occasionally do happen in real
> life where planes are damaged but can be recovered and made operational
> again. If a plane suffers severe damage during a crash landing there is
> a good chance that it will be lost altogether, but in any case it will
> not be in any shape for real action for at least a few game turns. For a
> good balance I suggest that crash landings are only possible within a
> friendly city's radius.

My call? It sounds like adding a lot of probably hard-coded special cases
to do what? allow you to o have a damaged bomber,  hopefully not moveable,
(no fuel) sitting on the ground outside your city for a few turns. For
realism, you'ld need repair crews to go out and drag it back, and the
spend production to get it working again. I say you build another bomber
:)

On the other hand, a warning would be nice.

        Mark