Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Coding styles (not cranky mode)

To: markn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Coding styles (not cranky mode)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:02:29 +1000

Mark Nettle wrote:

> I'm a great fan of using tab's to indent. Then (at risk of starting an
> vi vs emacs vs ? war)
>
> $ cat ~/.exrc
> :set sw=4
> :set ts=4
> :set ai
> $

If I understand what you're saying (I think I do), then I disagree
strongly.  Tabs are 8 spaces.  Trying to change that, and assuming
everyone will do the right thing, I can't see working.

Of course that doesn't mean the _indentation_ must be 8 spaces,
and you are free to customise your editor to help with the
indentation, but changing the tabsize is not the way to do it.

Regards,
-- David