Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: provide snprintf

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: provide snprintf
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:34:23 +1000

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> If you do include one of these alternatives, then you could still use
> the mprotect-based one.  Just use autoconf to determine whether the host
> system has the necessary system calls, and use the appropriate vsnprintf
> implementation based on what autoconf says.

That would be possible, but frankly if we're going to include
a more portable alternative, I'd prefer to include _just_ the
more portable version, and accept any performance penalties (or
whatever) on platforms where mprotect would have worked.

The reason for this (and also the reason I haven't jumped at
the non-mprotect alternatives) is that _all_ versions contain
icky portability and/or correctness issues, and I don't want
to have to maintain more than one.

-- David