Re: [Freeciv-Dev] graphics and colors proposal

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] graphics and colors proposal
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:29:59 +0200

David Pfitzner wrote:

> To clarify, the idea is that each xpm file is allowed
> its own individual colormap.  This allows the xpm file
> sizes to stay small (if the number of colors per file
> is kept to about 64) but gives better results on high
> color systems than forcing all xpm files to use a common
> 64-color palette.
>
> On low color systems, the first xpm files loaded get
> to use their specified colors until the colormap is full,
> and then other files get dithered using the available
> colors.  This may not look quite as good on 256 color
> systems as deliberately using a common colormap, but may
> not be much worse, and should be acceptable.
>
> Actually, freeciv already currently does the above in some
> sense, for for the radar.xpm and intro.xpm files (the map
> and minimap images before the game starts), which have
> individual 256-colour palettes, and thus appear dithered
> when using 256 colour systems.
>
> Actually2, it seems the GTK+ doesn't allocate colors
> based on load order, but instead dithers everything to
> some common palette, which is also reasonable.

I think you need a basic palette or some sort of load order,
since when the first image loaded is all blue tones, you
will be out of colors for the other images.

Maybe you could make some restrictions about how many colors
in every quadrant of a 4x4x4 color cube get allocated, based
on a printout of the current colors used.