Re: [Freeciv-Dev] graphics and colors proposal

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] graphics and colors proposal
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen <mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:39:20 +0000

> In the short term (specifically, up to the next release)
> we stick to xpm format, and those who want somewhat more
> colors can use the above scheme.  In particular I would
> like to put the new small.xpm in cvs (in data/default)
> with an individually optimsed 64-color palette, and also
> a single space.xpm also with such a palette.)  Of course
> people are still free to make xpm sets with common low-color
> palettes, and xpm sets with lots of colors, but the above
> should be the standard for graphics files included in the dist.

Sounds ok.

> In the long term (after 1.8.1) we could revisit the graphics
> format issue, eg (optionally?) using PNG format.  Note that
> 1.8.1 will be the first stable relase to include the GTK+
> client which requires imlib, so we may be able to get some
> feedback about how much trouble it would be to require imlib.

Yes, could somebody maybe think of a good poll for this issue too?

> Also, Martin has indicated he'll put a section with the available
> tilesets on the download page.   That should make the alternative
> tilesets much more visible, rather than just having them hidden
> deep inside the ftp archive.

Yes I will. The tilesets are in ftp.freeciv.org/contrib/tilesets/ now.

Maybe the tileset creators should state which version of freeciv their
tiles work for too.

Best regards

Martin Willemoes Hansen

  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __   |  E-Mail  mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   |  IRC     MWH/DR_NICK ; ircnet,
openprojects