Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Damned libraries...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Damned libraries...
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:45:52 -0400

Alexandre BERAUD (a_beraud@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Maybe you will understand better if I tell you my distrib.
> is a Slackware one and had not been fully installed.
> 3/4 of the libraries on my HD have been installed by me with
> average success.

You've paid your dues and are now a member of the RealMen Linux Club(TM).
You're officially allowed to upgrade to a better distribution. ;-)

> I seem to have a traditionnal 'make' program

Use 'make --version'.  If it's not GNU make, then getting GNU make should
be a priority.

> Moreover, you can't deny that gclient needs lots of .h files
> from Freeciv (packets.h, main.h, etc...) but this is not the
> biggest problem.

The GTK+ client has been integrated into the CVS freeciv distribution.
You shouldn't be using the separate GTK+ client any more -- it's probably
out of date.

> Moreover, I have NO program called 'ldconfig' !!!

It may not be in your PATH.  It's usually in /sbin.

But, if after all this you still have problems with the GTK+ client,
then don't be afraid to use the standard Xaw client.  There are still
machines that won't build libgtk (an AIX 4.3.2 system at work, for
one...), so the Xaw client is going to be around for quite a while yet.
It's also been around for a lot longer, so it's much more stable.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.