Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Damned libraries...

To: Alexandre BERAUD <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Damned libraries...
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:52:00 +0100 (WET DST)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Alexandre BERAUD wrote:

> Thanx to all those who gave me solutions and particularly
> Vasco who lit a small candle of hope in the recursive
> problems linked to the libraries (damned libraries, did
> I mention it ?).
> Maybe you will understand better if I tell you my distrib.
> is a Slackware one and had not been fully installed.

Woa! Slackware, i still remember when i used that.  I'm a RedHat user now.
Now i see why you're needing to compile the libraries.

> 3/4 of the libraries on my HD have been installed by me with
> average success. However, David's questions are curious:
> I seem to have a traditionnal 'make' program and most of the
> Gtk+ programs compile without much problems on my computer.
> Moreover, you can't deny that gclient needs lots of .h files
> from Freeciv (packets.h, main.h, etc...) but this is not the
> biggest problem.
> I think erveything comes from the successive installations
> of Gtk and Imlib.

Maybe.

> Moreover, I have NO program called 'ldconfig' !!!
> The is a 'ltconfig' file in most of the gtk-related libraries
> but no ldconfig.

You probably can't find ldconfig because ldconfig is meant to be run by
root.  It's probably in /usr/sbin/ldconfig or /sbin/ldconfig
Ldconfig is a program which basically updates/shows the paths to the
various libraries you have installed in your system.

> I think I'll make a full diagnostic of the disease via Vasco's
> advices and see what can be done.

Installing libraries in Linux is usually a simple matter of ./configure;
make; make install; ldconfig.  I'm sorry you've been unable to do that.
Maybe it's time you changed your Linux distribution to Redhat, SuSE,
Debian, or something like that.

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering