[Freeciv-Dev] Gtk client and !@#&"* libraries.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Gtk client and !@#&"* libraries.
From: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD)
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:09:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

I still cannot compile the gtk client correctly. After succeeding
in installing Gtk+ 1.2.1 after hours of a terrible battle, and
installing Imlib 1.9.? I tried to compile the gtkclient.
First, it would be nice to mention that it needs plenty of .h
files from Freeciv itself. Then, compilation goes not far:

> make
gcc -c -O2 -Wall -I. -I../common -I../ai   `gtk-config --cflags`
gmain.c
In file included from gmain.c:38:
menu.h:18: parse error before `GtkAcceleratorTable'
gmain.c: In function `g_main':
gmain.c:309: `GtkAcceleratorTable' undeclared (first use this function)
gmain.c:309: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gmain.c:309: for each function it appears in.)
gmain.c:309: `accel' undeclared (first use this function)
gmain.c:309: warning: statement with no effect
gmain.c:310: parse error before `*'
gmain.c:348: `icon_bitmap' undeclared (first use this function)
gmain.c:377: warning: implicit declaration of function
`gtk_window_add_accelerator_table'
gmain.c:453: `table' undeclared (first use this function)
gmain.c:458: `i' undeclared (first use this function)
gmain.c:460: `ebox' undeclared (first use this function)
gmain.c:562: `scrollbar' undeclared (first use this function)
gmain.c:616: `c_capability' undeclared (first use this function)
make: *** [gmain.o] Error 1

As you can see, the situation is somewhat catastrophic. Could
someone please explain me what is wrong with this ?

Another problem is that I wanted to use a gtk theme with the
gtk client. So I had to install Gtk-engines (it was going
complicated !) and I got this:

checking for gtk-config... /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.13... yes
checking for imlib-config... /usr/local/bin/imlib-config
checking for IMLIB - version >= 1.8... no
*** Could not run IMLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding IMLIB or finding the wrong
*** version of IMLIB. If it is not finding IMLIB, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that

*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error: *** IMLIB 1.8 not installed - please install first ***

This occurs even with Imlib 1.9.? installed and all the solutions I
tried failed.
I am considering to switch back to window$ ! Please save my soul :o)

Thanx.

Alex