Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Auto Settler Behavior

To: Uwe Storbeck <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Auto Settler Behavior
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:55:06 -0500

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 10:13:54PM +0200, Uwe Storbeck wrote:
> I've just played FreeCiv-1.8.0, just fine :-). Very well done.
>
> But one thing bothers me: Automatic settlers convert all grasland and
> plains to forest, but the desert in the neighborhood they leave alone.

        It may "take too long" for the benefit.

> IMHO it's not a good idea at all let auto settlers change terrain type.
> At least there should be a special instruction for that.

        I think it is a good idea, especially for turning the desert,
swamp, etc into productive land.  Part of the problem is that most of the
code as written values production over all else.  Forests provide the most
production, therefore they are the most desirable.
        Humans generally have a different valuation.

> And if there is an automatic terrain conversion, I would like to see
> more the reverse behavior, converting of desert, swamp and forest into
> grassland with that priority. Or better an "intelligent" conversion
> dependent on the supply of the according city :-).

        Yes.

--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.