Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nukes

To: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Kris Bubendorfer <Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jason Griffiths <neptune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Nukes
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 13:39:11 -0400

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 05:45:00PM +0000, Nicolas Brunel was heard to say:
> >   Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for the clients to indicate
> > whether a city is defended on the large map?  The minimap colors are a
> > little
> > hard to see sometimes.
> >
> >   I had a patch that attempted to do something similar to CivII a while
> > ago--it
> > changed the city name color based on race and eliminated flags in undefended
> > cities--but I think that there may be a better solution for Freeciv.  I just
> > can't come up with one. :-)
>
> Hello all,
>
> It seems strange to me that one know exactly which cities of his ennemy
> are undefened. It's a very important information which is given at no
> cost !

  For people who have played CivI and CivII before, it's strange to not know
when a city is undefended. :-)  I realize that it doesn't make sense but I
don't think that Freeciv's goal is (or should be) to emulate reality precisely.

  I'm not really sure how this would fit in to the rest of the game features of
Freeciv though..I could see it being better not to show the information for us..
(in that case--perhaps it shouldn't even be sent to the client)

  Daniel

--
   It is hard to think of anything less sentient than a pumpkin.

             -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_