Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Problem with GTK Client

To: David King <david_king@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Problem with GTK Client
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 08:40:15 +0100 (WET DST)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, David King wrote:

> Since the GTK client code went into CVS, I've been trying to get it
> running to see if I need to change anything in the manual.  I am using
> GTK 1.2.2 from www.gtk.org, and imlib 1.9.4 from www.gnome.org, and
> other GTK programs I test run OK but...
>
> The GTK client paints only the top left corner of its viewport.  All of
> the units get displayed only there, and only that square of terrain is
> visible.  I can shift around one square at a time with the scrollbars,
> and I see the correct terrain, but only in that one square.

Actually that's not a bug, it's a feature :-). The Xaw client has the same
problem but it's actually worse.  You see the code in both clients is in
such a way that if someone resizes the map window it is re-allocated to a
bigger size.  Unfortunately none of the clients can figure out correctly
which size they should allocate upon startup and that's why you get those
weird tiles not refreshing in the botton of the map window in the Xaw
client.  Why can't the client figure out the size on startup?  Because the
map size isn't know upon startup.
The way i've made it in the GTK+ client is that by default on startup the
map window size is 1x1 and thus i force users to make a refresh themselves
and then the size of the map window is auto-reallocated to fit in place.
(Yes i tried forcing the refresh in the code but so far it hasn't worked
as espected).

> I've been trying this with each day's CVS drop, and it hasn't gone away.
> Is there something I'm missing that I need to get more displayed?

Try messing with the knob in the panned window when you start the client
so that you force a resize of the map window.  Anyway this 'bug' only
shows when you connect the client to the server for the first time.

Hope this helps,

---
Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa, student @ Instituto Superior Tecnico,
Technical University of Lisbon - Software & Computer Engineering